Charlesbridge publishes high-quality books for children and adults, with a goal of creating and supporting lifelong readers and lifelong learners. Our children’s books encourage reading and discovery in the classroom, library, and home, and embrace a child’s innate sense of wonder and fun. Charlesbridge believes that books should offer accurate information, be both compelling and educational, and promote a positive worldview. To this end, we continually strive to seek new voices, new visions, and new directions in both children's and adult literature.
Charlesbridge is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. As part of our commitment to health and safety, Charlesbridge requires COVID-19 vaccines for current employees, including all newly hired employees.
The editorial assistant assists a team of editors with a range of fiction and nonfiction titles from board books and picture books to middle grade and young adult. The assistant also provides administrative support for the editorial department and works on paperbacks and foreign imports. This is a full-time, in-house position with benefits. Charlesbridge currently operates under a hybrid in-office/virtual work schedule, requiring a minimum of two days per week in our office in Watertown, Massachusetts.
The editorial assistant writes copy, drafts proposals and title information sheets, and does data entry, fact checking, and research in support of a team of editors. The editorial assistant also provides operational support to the editorial department and maintains and improves departmental systems. There is room for growth and promotion and for the assistant to eventually acquire and edit their own titles.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Assist with reading and evaluating manuscripts; write thoughtful and timely decline and revision letters
- Assist with generating proposals, terms sheets, and P&Ls for prospective projects through the project management platform (Biblio)
- Assist with editing manuscripts, demonstrating excellent writing, grammar, and spelling and displaying a firm knowledge of Charlesbridge house style and Chicago Manual of Style, as well as creative flair
- Assist with evaluating sketches, final art, layouts, and proofs and balancing aesthetic, creative, and financial concerns while collaborating with design and production colleagues
- Assist with writing flap copy and other selling copy for books
- Perform a variety of administrative functions to support the editorial department
- Excellent organization and time management
- Attention to detail
- Creative thinking and problem solving
- Strong sense of prioritization
- Ability to work autonomously
- Well-honed communication
- Ability to learn online platforms
- Microsoft Office proficiency
Our ideal candidate holds a bachelor’s degree, has prior knowledge of children’s books, performs efficiently under pressure, thrives in a fast-paced environment, and enjoys working as part of a team.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume in one PDF doc with subject line “Editorial Assistant” to email@example.com. No phone calls or snail mail, please.
Independent publisher seeks an organized, energetic, and enthusiastic accounting and administration assistant to join our Administration Department. This is a full-time, in-house position with benefits. Charlesbridge currently operates under a hybrid in-office/virtual work schedule, requiring a minimum of two days per week in our office in Watertown, Massachusetts.
The accounting and administration assistant works closely with accounting and other staff in the Administration Department to provide support in various accounting and office management roles. This is an entry-level position for candidates who have a background in accounting, and who are organized, detail oriented, and eager to learn the business side of book publishing.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Process accounts payable, including setting up new vendors and processing payment/purchase requests.
- Process customer orders, including website orders and distributor sales statements.
- Process author and illustrator royalties, including preparing, reviewing, and processing royalty statements for payment and maintaining royalty payment schedules.
- Perform office and administrative responsibilities, including office related employee communications, various office / property management activities, and ad hoc report generation.
- Provide general office support to the Administration Department and executive officers.
- Bachelor of Arts degree or equivalent.
- Must have undergraduate and/or work-related accounting and bookkeeping experience.
- Must have strong computer skills and a working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Works constructively with others in a team environment.
- Takes ownership of, and pride in, work product
- Able to multi-task and change work focus as necessary to meet deadlines.
- Cheerful problem solver of short- and long-term challenges.
- A quick study who is eager to learn new technologies and processes.
- Willing to pursue professional development through training and attending local conferences and industry events.
How to Apply
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter outlining how they meet the specific requirements of the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send application materials in one PDF doc with subject line “Accounting and Administration Assistant.” No phone calls or snail mail, please.