Charlesbridge publishes high-quality books for children and adults, with a goal of creating and supporting lifelong readers and lifelong learners. Our children’s books encourage reading and discovery in the classroom, library, and home, and embrace a child’s innate sense of wonder and fun. Charlesbridge believes that books should offer accurate information, be both compelling and educational, and promote a positive worldview. To this end, we continually strive to seek new voices, new visions, and new directions in both children's and adult literature.
Charlesbridge is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. As part of our commitment to health and safety, Charlesbridge requires COVID-19 vaccines for current employees, including all newly hired employees.
Charlesbridge, an independent publisher, seeks an organized and detail-oriented booklover to join our rights team as our Rights and Contracts Associate or Senior Associate. This is a full-time, in-house position with benefits. Charlesbridge currently operates under a hybrid in-office/virtual work schedule, requiring two days a week in our Watertown, Massachusetts office.
Reporting to the Vice President, Senior Director of Sales and Marketing, the Rights and Contracts Associate/Senior Associate is responsible for licensing translation, book club, audio, electronic, and iconographic rights, as well as negotiating all creator contracts for Charlesbridge titles. Some domestic and international travel may be required.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Pitches, negotiates, and prepares contracts for licensing deals for all domestic and some foreign rights, as well as permission requests
- Tracks licensed rights and renewals of expiring licenses
- Prepares materials for (and potentially attends) Frankfurt and Bologna international book fairs
- Drafts, negotiates and finalizes all publishing contracts with creators and their agents
- Updates and maintains Charlesbridge’s standard contract terms, best practices, and boilerplates
- Organizes and leads weekly contracts meeting
- Supervises Rights and Contracts Assistant
How to Apply
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter outlining how they meet the specific requirements of the position to email@example.com. For more information visit www.charlesbridge.com.